About Me

I am 36 years old (37 now)(38 now)(49 now!), single, and want to become a mother. I had my ideal of marriage, house, baby, happiness. Well, life teaches you that nothing is certain and we all need to forge our own path. This is mine. UPDATE: and baby girl makes family :) And now baby boy makes bigger family!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dr. Visit

I had a REALLY rough night last night. Fever, aches, pain all over.....I think I ended up taking 5 showers. Slept on and off and sweated through night. I felt not quite as feverish when I got up this morning, but still had a lot of cramping.  I decided to stay home and make a Dr. appointment.  Better to go check things out.

They were able to get me in and ultimately they think I have a virus causing the fever, etc. They will still follow up on urine sample to see if infection, but found no other bleeding internally. Great news.

Here's even better news...they did an ultrasound to check everything out and the baby is doing fantastic. Yup, you heard that right...baby singular!  I saw on the monitor and actually heard the heartbeat. It was 107 beats per minute which she said was very strong.  It was a bit surreal listening to the heartbeat. It was real and alive in my body.  It all happened so quick that the next thing I knew I was being handed some pictures and given a sheet of what medicine I can take, etc..
Now that we did the ultrasound earlier than next Tuesday, I won't go back in for another check up for two weeks.

The tiny little black circle is my baby.



It's interesting because I was really thinking there were two in there. I felt two distinct areas during implantation time. The longer term planner in me was thinking one and done (one pregnancy, two babies, done) but it goes to show you that your body will do only what it is capable of at the time. More babies = more risk. One baby is a lot less risky for baby and mama. I am just thankful that everything appears healthy.

Although, building my family plays into my exit strategy from corporate america.  I do think that I will ultimately want to find a way to move back to where my extended family is, and find a way to work part time w health insurance...may be hard to do. I've got plenty of time to work on that.

I hesitated putting this in here, but I think it goes to show how I struggle w/ my immediate family. I was talking to my sister shortly after the Dr. appointment. She has been having a tough time because she was dating someone and they decided to stop seeing each other. She is in somewhat of a tailspin, at home, crying, etc.. She has these ups and downs...this down I can understand, but not all of them. Anyway, when I told her The Dr. said I probably just have a virus and that there was one baby she said "oh".  I said, "You sound disappointed". She said, "I am, I wanted you to have two".  Maybe it's me being irritable and sick, but I thought that sounded so selfish. Her first thought was what SHE wanted....why wouldn't the response be, thank goodness you're okay and you at least are lucky enough to have one healthy looking baby.  It's comments like those that make me continue to realize that my emotional support is elsewhere. I guess some piece of me keeps hoping.

Oh, my realtor put my house in market today and we got an offer already, but not what we want. Will see. We also have 3 other showings today. May have competing offers which I can only hope for.
And no, have not heard back from contractor who said he was going to get back to me today. Go figure.

Going to rest now.

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear there's just one, and going strong! I also had friends joke about how great it would be for me to have twins but after looking into the medical risks plus how difficult it would be for me to raise twin babies on my own, I'm glad I have a singleton. I also had some odd moments with my family when I announced I was having a boy and some of them acted disappointed because they wanted a girl - I guess people don't realize how important it is to be supportive sometimes!

    ReplyDelete