About Me

I am 36 years old (37 now)(38 now)(49 now!), single, and want to become a mother. I had my ideal of marriage, house, baby, happiness. Well, life teaches you that nothing is certain and we all need to forge our own path. This is mine. UPDATE: and baby girl makes family :) And now baby boy makes bigger family!

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Skin, Nanny, and Unlocked Secret

A couple thoughts for this evening....I think my baby has a skin issue. I am not sure if it's eczema or just a rash, or what.....but it's kind of yucky.  You may have noticed in yesterday's picture on her forehead between her two eyebrows she has this circle patch.  It is pretty dry, scaly, rough to the touch.  Here is another picture from last night where you can see it better....she also has a spot like this on her left cheek.  I asked the nanny what she thought....it could be a variety of things...even an allergic reaction--I washed her clothes in the regular detergent w/out thinking about it.  My nanny said not a good idea because it is too harsh.
I am going to call the Dr. tomorrow because we are going to be gone for a week starting this Saturday. I don't want it to get worse while we are gone.



The other thing that happened over this past week was the first "issue" w nanny.  Overall, things have been going really smooth and I am so happy I chose those route for childcare. Yes, it is so expensive, but it is a lifesaver for me regarding stress level. Just not having to get up so much earlier, take her to daycare where there are lots of germies....and a woman at work reinforced my fear about her not getting enough attention because her daughter is in a daycare and a few times now she stopped by and her daughter was crying all by herself with a pool of drool around her head i.e. she'd been there for awhile.  I know there are good daycares, but you just never know because this was supposed to be one of them.

Anyway back to the issue....one of the things nanny did early on that I disagreed with and stopped was her warming her bottles in the microwave.  When I saw it the first time I asked to please warm another way.  I gave her my reasoning in that I worry about hotspots, etc..  Then, when we did our nanny agreement I put in there that I didn't want her bottles warmed in micro.  But several weeks ago I was working from home and the numbers were flashing on the microwave (meaning it had just been used and not cleared), and I saw her feeding the baby baby.  I thought she may have used micro so later that day I casually said I wanted to be sure her bottles are warmed with warm water like I do...and does she do this?  She said yes.
Well.....you can see where this is going.....

So just last week I worked from home and walked out-----while she was warming a bottle in the microwave!!

At first I was surprised since we've talked about this a few times before....but I just simply stopped her and calmly said I prefer her to warm it another way.  She then got upset, which also surprised me. She told me it was only for 5 seconds because it was cold.  Then, she pulled out the bottle to show me, was flustered, and said fine...she'd do different and pulled out a pot. I said she didn't need to do that and said I just put warm water IN the bottle....she said bottle already made, she'd figure it out.

Interaction was pretty tense and I didn't feel good about it.  So, I went back to my room and worked for a couple more hours.  I didn't want this to fester so I came back out and said that I know our ideas of warming are different, but I prefer her not to use the microwave.  She said fine and was going to walk away and I stopped her and asked her to tell me what she was thinking. She stopped for a minute then said...she would never hurt the baby and was upset that I thought she would feed the baby a too hot bottle that could cause her harm.  She said she wouldn't do anything that would cause the baby to get hurt and have to go to the hospital.
Basically......she took my comments to mean that I thought she would do something knowingly to hurt the baby.

In some respect, I can see how she would be take offense....in others, it was simply we disagree w/ warming the bottles and this is something I stood my ground on and don't want her to do.

There hasn't been anything else that she has pushed back on that I've asked....like waiting until dishes dry before putting away, or using the scrub brush on the bottle parts to make sure they get clean.  This must have just hit a nerve for her.  It did work itself out, though, because after we talked and she got off her chest why she was upset, she said she knew that baby girl was my baby, and that if I want her to warm bottles that way she will.  I then said I could get a bottle warmer if she prefers that? and she said no, not to waste the money. She would use warm water from the sink like I do...it will take a bit longer to get the bottle ready, but she will do.  Then I went back to my room and at the end of the day we were talking again like we always do and the tension seemed to have gone away.

Whew.  I'm glad I talked to her that same day because I want us to keep open communication.  At the end of the day, she could still warm the bottle in the micro when I am not there and I won't know (and no, I don't plan to get a nanny cam--if I had that many concerns about her, she is not the right woman to take care of my baby)....but I just hope she respects my wishes.
And yes, it does bring up does she do other things that I don't want?  I don't think so and my gut isn't saying that she does.....but I will certainly keep my ears/mind open to it.

And finally, I've been mentioning that baby girl is not a good napper. At. All.  She sleeps like 20 minute increments during the week w/ nanny no matter what we've tried.  Well just a week ago I put her in the cradle and rocked it w/ my foot for about 40 minutes.....really because I was on the internet and not paying attention.  But lo and behold she slept for like an hour after that.
So this weekend I decided to experiment and rock her intentionally....and it WORKED 2 times in a row!  Yesterday she took a 2 hour nap and today she took 2, 2 hour  naps!!!  She hasn't done that since she was a newborn.

I think the trick is she needs to be rocked past the point of light sleeping to get her to deep sleep....then walah! she stays asleep.

I am sure some folks think that I am creating a bad habit and maybe I am....but guess what....baby girl is getting the sleep she needs.
So, I plan on telling nanny the trick and see if she wants to try it.  It can't hurt......because as it is now, I come home from work and have a fussy one on my hands until bedtime...because she's so exhausted.


This is probably the longest post I've written in awhile.....done now!

No comments:

Post a Comment