The day of Thanksgiving we got up and I started getting us ready. It sure takes alot longer w/ trying to pack and remember things for both of us. My plan was to get us out by 9:15 am and we made it out around 9:35am. Not too bad. I was just feeling anxious about the travel so I started sweating......and I couldn't stop. I had a burpee cloth for baby, and for me! On the way to the airport I called the airline to see what gate we were leaving from, and the rep told us our flight showed CANCELLED! um WHAT???!!!!! He said he would check and get back to us....well, 10 minutes later he never came back so I hung up and called back. Apparently it was only the leg INTO my airport that was cancelled.....not my trip.
WHEW!!!
We got there and I was fumbling for quite some time to get the carseat base out. It was in there tight and I couldn't loosen up the strap. Sweating some more.....baby started to get fussy. I finally got it and pushed the stroller w/ one hand and lugged my big ass suitcase w/ the other--with the base balancing on top of the suitcase. Sweat still dripping.....
Good news is there was pretty much noone in the airport at check-in or security. The woman at the counter was nice to us and helped me take baggage over to drop off. We got through security and I figured I should get some water to make her bottles....she started fussing more. Sweating more. Then I stopped and got a power bar...constantly wiping my brow.
Our gate was way the heck at the end of the airport, so we got there w/ enough time to sit down, her cry some more, and I started getting our gate check stuff ready. There was no jetbridge so once I got up the stairs to the plane I had my backpack and realized I needed several more hands to hold her and put up the backpack. I was getting flustered.....so I asked the lady sitting down if she would kindly hold my baby. Of course she did, but I felt somewhat helpless not knowing where to put her so I could settle us in. I didn't have a carrier for her and that is one thing I will change for next time.
Once the engines started up she fell asleep in my arms.... I did bring the boppy and was glad I did. She was cozy/I was cozy......and FINALLY my sweating slowed down.
Once we got to the midwest it was much more calm...she slept in the car on the 45 minute trip to my cousin's house.
Thanksgiving was good. There were a LOT of kids there...technically her second cousins. She really did a good job.....she didn't care who held her and she started "talking" w/ everyone. She is starting to babble more and more. It's the cutest thing. The thing I was most worried about was all of the germs. Kids had runny noses, coughs, etc..and of course kids love babies....they wanted to touch her and hold her. Of course I let them, but inside I was cringing thinking GERMS all over my baby.
Something good that came out of the trip is that I am able to be more at peace w/ where I live and what I am doing--even though it IS far from family. My sister and I drove around a few towns I had scoped out if I were to potentially move back around extended family....and you know what? I actually didn't much like them at all. Believe it or not it felt stifling--really small. Maybe I am more used to bigger city than I thought. I didn't get that good 'gut' feel so I know it is not right to do at least for now. That is fantastic to be less anxious about just staying put.
There were a few things I was disappointed in--one was my camera....it is digital and I couldn't seem to catch her w/out bright flashes in her eyes.....so I don't really have a good picture during thanksgiving.--and darn it she had some super cute outfits on!!!! The other thing was my expectations of what my extended family would be like with her. When we got there, my cousins came over and oohed and aahed over her, very cute. But the funny thing is my aunt (who could be like a grandmotherly figure) wasn't overly warm and I actually had to ask her to hold her while I went to the bathroom. I guess I just expected her to be more inviting and loving towards her. I probably shouldn't be too surprised because she's not an overly affectionate person in general. Maybe I was just wishing she would be more like my mom would have been. I feel like a grandmother relationship is important and one I would love for her to have.....but we'll just have to develop that elsewhere. What I do really want for her, though, is to have another person/family/whatever that she will grow up around. I want people to be excited to see her and make us feel like part of the family. It's hard to describe, but honestly for family all I feel like I have for closer relationship is my sister. My brother did come to Thanksgiving, but he's like a normal guy...doesn't talk much and was fine w/ the baby as long as she wasn't crying.
The flight home was MUCH less stressful....I think I was psyched out by the travel and was just so anxious of the unknown w/ her on the way up.
We both must have been exhausted because Sunday we slept pretty much all day and didn't leave the house. I will have you know, though, that the germs DID get us.....she got a cold and has a runny nose and cough. Mama got a sore throat and head congestion.
So, as I said earlier, all in all was a good trip. I was able to travel w/ her pretty successfully (even w/ all the sweat) and I am able to cross off my anxiety about wanting to move back to the midwest right now.
Even though this wasn't during Thanksgiving party, I did get a great picture of her at the airport going home....she is wearing her new hat from my cousin. Awww......just love this kid.
your baby is so cute :)
ReplyDeleteShe is gorgeous! Breathtaking!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had a good trip. :)