About Me

I am 36 years old (37 now)(38 now)(49 now!), single, and want to become a mother. I had my ideal of marriage, house, baby, happiness. Well, life teaches you that nothing is certain and we all need to forge our own path. This is mine. UPDATE: and baby girl makes family :) And now baby boy makes bigger family!

Monday, January 27, 2020

Procedure and Report

Egg retrieval was today.

I honestly have been so so nervous over the last few days, especially after doing the trig.ger shot on Saturday night. For some reason I kept wondering if I would ovulate early, if there would be any eggs, would moving around too much 'do something' to them, should I just be sitting down and waiting? I was also feeling pretty full and uncomfortable so I was ready to get this movin.

I got to the Dr. office early this morning (for a change)...got there around 7am, for arrival appt at 7:15am. Wouldn't you know we were locked out and noone was there.  This has happened to me a few times over the years at this office. I was okay waiting until 7:15, but then I just started getting frustrated. How do they not have someone open the doors on time?
Finally they opened up and I got checked in and waited. Old nanny was with me, she came in town on Saturday and will stay through tomorrow. It really was nice having a friend there with me to talk a bit, listen to my chatter, and hold my purse. There was only one other couple in there this morning with us.

It really didn't take too long and they called me back to the little surgery area. There was not much to the check in once I was laying on the gurney....just blood pressure, a few questions....then nurse said we were just waiting for the Dr. and anesthesiology.  As I'm laying there I was feeling pretty anxious...like wanting to crawl out of my skin anxious. I had to force myself to focus on mentally relaxing myself and do some deep breathing, laid on my side to get more comfortable, and just focused on the design on the curtain.  Once the Dr. came he came in to talk and said he was very happy with how I responded and was thinking the retrieval would go very well. He had reached over to touch my arm and what I love about this Dr. is he is just so calming, and he has the softest hands on the planet. They are so smooth and comforting.
Dr. was getting a bit impatient because anesthesiology was still not in the building. We waited and waited....and finally, they just had me walk into the surgery room so we could just get totally prepped and then start the minute he arrived. Still more waiting.....then finally. Anesth. showed up.
He had trouble w/ my IV, unfortunately, and ended up starting it in my wrist--which was really uncomfortable. He had to poke me multiple times, which hurt each time, and I was just trying to stay calm. He asked me if he was hurting me....umm yeah, you are. He did finally get it and the Dr. and nurse started turning off lights to get started and he said woah, he still needed a few minutes to get everything set up. My Dr. was ready to go, clearly!
Then I got the lovely medication which I was then waiting to go to sleep.....and I was just lying there eyes open. I finally said, 'um, you know I'm still awake right?'....of course they did but normally it happens very quick, medicine, then out.

Next thing I know Im being wheeled out. I asked whoever was around me how many we got and I thought I heard someone say 3.  My heart just sank. Oh no......no. 
They wheeled me back where I started and I heard the Dr. outside my curtain so I asked him to come in. I asked how many eggs did we get and he said 10.  I said, 10? He said 10.  Just to make sure I heard correctly, I said 'did you say 10?!'.....He smiled and said yes, 10. He was so, so pleased with that number he said he was just so happy w/ that outcome.

Im also so thrilled with the result as I honestly was worried about the what if's that might happen....but to get 10 eggs from 10 follicles (or 11, they kept going back and forth w/ how many I actually had) is great news.  Dr. said next step is to see what fertilizes, then grows to blast over next several days.  I'm still a bit surprised and in disbelief almost. This just exceeded my expectations.

Now, on to thinking about the next steps and here's where the quality comes into play. You can have a lot of eggs, but if none of them are normal, well.....clearly that's not good. BUT, I'm keeping positive thoughts over the next several days and also planning to take it easy w/ recovery i.e. supposed to be bedrest today, then a bit more normal tomorrow.


Sunflower, I can't thank you enough for your supportive comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and offer encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment