My baby started school January 19, 2016.
Today we are on our 9th day of school (3rd week this week). The short story is she's done really well, but it's not been easy.
Before the first day I tried to hype it up by talking about how much FUN and all of the new friends she will meet. The first morning we all planned to go--nanny, me, and brother.
In my angst of worrying about how she would handle the change I forgot to get one of those cutsie signs where you say first day of school, etc so as we were rushing to get out the door I just had to write on a piece of paper--but couldn't find the black marker so used a little green one. SO bummed you can hardly read the paper and she wasn't into helping to take the amazing adorably cute photo I had planned in my mind.
But We were off and she was excited, smiling.
We get to school and because it was Tuesday they went straight to chapel. They suggested we wait until class comes back before bringing her to classroom so it's not too much for her. While we were waiting we walked around her new room finding her cubby, her chair, until the class came back at 9.
Then we went in the hall and she started dancing!
Once the classes started filing back from chapel a LOT of people were around. She started to get a bit timid and held my hand. Once the teacher was back she came to us in the hall and knelt down and said hi/introduced herself. She then took baby's hand and walked her in the classroom. I asked what I should do and she said best to go now--not follow in classroom. I watched baby girl walk into the room and she turned around briefly because she was unsure where to go and teacher showed her the table where they had her chair and play do. She didn't cry but I could tell she was nervous.
That was it.
I stood there for a minute w nanny just trying to catch more glimpses of her and make sure she wasn't crying.
As soon as we started walking away tears were just streaming down my face. I'm such a sap--just reliving this I am wiping fresh tears. My baby.
I ended up taking 1/2 day vacation in the morning so I could be the one to take her AND pick her up.
I was just a mess worrying about her. I was stressed so went through a drive through for breakfast--then my phone rang. It was school. My stomach dropped as I answered thinking--oh no they only call if they can't handle a tantrum or something. But, It was the admissions lady saying she had checked in on her and she was doing great! She was the weather girl! That made me feel loads better.
When we went to go pick her up we walked toward the classroom and the second I walked up to the door and she saw me from inside of the room she starts running towards me, arms outstretched, yelling MAMAaaaaa....I scooped her up in my arms and we both hugged each other SO tight-her arms and legs wrapped around me and I'm hugging and kissing her. It's a moment I won't forget. I'm seriously crying again just thinking about it.
The teacher said she did so well. She did say she missed mama a few times during class but she was able to follow along and do quite well for not having been in a school environment before.
I was just relieved--but thinking it couldn't be this easy. And it wasn't, actually.
I ended up taking her everyday because I wanted to be sure she was ok.
The next two days were actually harder, and her second day was tough. They go to music on Wednesdays and they take them out of the room to a different one and there is a different teacher. AND she doesn't like loud noise. So poor baby sat to the side and cried during the class the teacher told me. She didn't want to participate.
The third day was toughest because teacher said baby girl can up to her every 10-15 minutes saying she missed her mama. Cue tears. They try and redirect by saying nanny will be back to pick up in a little while.
I talk to her every night about school, what she learned, asked what she liked the most etc. last week was a little easier and this week so-so. Still almost every morning she says "but I will miss my mama all day" "I will miss you at school". I tell her it's ok to have those feelings, I miss her too during the day, etc. some mornings she has real tears--I know the difference--and I take more time with her to reassure her that it's ok, she will have fun. Yesterday she got nervous because nanny was taking her instead of me and she legitimately was upset. I came out of my room as I was still getting ready for work and scooped her up and walked with them down to the car to buckle her in. Not sure it helped but nanny said she was ok, no tears at drop off.
And get this--the first school event for us tomorrow? Dads and donuts. Really. I've been just waiting for her to ask where her dad is and I'm sort of nervous for it. But for now she hasn't. We don't have any males close enough that can go tomorrow so I'm going!
What came to me this morning if she asks is to just say all families are different and ours has a mama, baby girl, and baby boy--oh and fatboy our cat.
I do think school is a positive thing for her so we will keep going. I did put our name in the hat during registration at the other less expensive preschool right near current one-well still 385/mo for 4 days am/pm all days--and they told me I ended up 45th on the wait list for that class. What?! For real?
I'm thankful I went to current schools open house for the fall on the 24th because I got to meet the 4 year old teachers--there are 3 of them--and learn an important thing. Even though current students get first day of registration, church second, general public third day, the director told me that current families camp out--they've had to put signs up to discourage people doing that. I couldn't imagine why they would do that since there would for sure be spots. She said they do that so they can be first in line for their TEACHER preference. This is just insane to me. I was dumbfounded and realized again I was behind 8 ball because I was just planning to turn in form sometime that next day. Clearly I needed to change course. I thought about getting up early to go stand in line--I guess there is one teacher they all rave about that does 4 year old class 5 day week. But then decided no, I'm not sending her 5 days week, the other teachers seemed fine, and I wouldn't participate in the madness.
Funny enough when we were waiting to drop off Monday morning the list of people who had come early was still sitting there with names and teacher preferences. One guy walked by and pointed to his wife--see honey, that's me, second on the list. All proud of his accomplishment. Wonder what time he got there for that? Ridiculous.
I've been keeping a log of other things she's said--too cute/funny.
Baby girl: you put me in time out when I'm fussy.
Me: yup
Baby girl: I don't like that
Me: well, what should I do with you?
Baby girl: just give me my bottle with milk. That helps calm me down
The other day I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up. Maybe a teacher? She said no, I want to be a mommy just like you.
Awwww.
She'd make statements and finish with--and that's the truth!
She'll call me from her bedroom--oh yooo hoooo. Mommay....
On a regular basis she says "you're my best in the whole wide world"! I tell her that it warms my heart.
The other day she said just her and I should go on a bike ride. I asked her what we should do with baby boy? She said he can stay with fatboy. Fatboy will play with him.
A for effort!!
My son walked 6 steps last week but is back to crawling. He was on an early morning sleep plan getting up as early as 450-500ish am. these last few weeks. Agh!
He's also picked up a new habit that we thought helped w teething but now he just plain likes it.



No comments:
Post a Comment