It's been torturous in our house since last Thursday--mainly because that's when I got sick too. The kids have been having runny nose, coughs, low grade warmness for a few weeks now but oh nelly did it kick up a notch this last week.
Last Thursday I started feeling crummy, achy, sinus-y so stayed home from work, urgent care Sunday.And of course this week was the fullest week at work w a few projects due i.e. HAD to be there kind of things.
My girl went to peds office Monday said to try allergy med first but if in few days no good start antibiotic. Tuesday morning she was NO better so we started her then. My son started to really spike fever Tuesday nite so nanny took him Wednesday when I was at work. Raging ear infection.
He started antibiotics Wednesday. He was so pitiful. His eyes were so red, sunken, all he did was moan. Wednesday he took his RX but by night he was still so hot when I took him to bed. He laid down for an hour or so then started crying out. He was due for his Motrin dose but when I took it to him in his room he clamped shut and most of it went down his face. So took him to the kitchen and he was refusing again.
I should have listened to him--cue mom guilt.
I tried to give whatever I could but as soon as we went back to his room and sat down in his rocking chair...vomit--all over both of us. Clearly he was nauseous.
Whisk straight to the tub. I cleaned him up--this was a bad one i.e. Had to take clothes outside to hose off chunks--so gross on top of me being sick already.
We just get cleaned up... I worry about dehydration so try to see if he'll take some water--extra no--second round of vomit here we go.
Get us both cleaned up again and had the smarts to just rock him. I held him for quite some time then tried putting in crib. Cried out some more--can't blame him--but by this time it had to be like 2am. I just got a blanket, laid next to his crib, and there we were.
Thursday, yesterday, was tough--my girl coughing terribly, my son spiking terrible fever still, my antibiotics did nothing at all. Same thing happened all over again last night--took my son to bed--vomit all.. Over... Us... Again! This time I couldn't move us fast enough and we hit carpet, chair, everything.
After we got everything cleaned up again I was rocking him to sleep and what do I hear? My cats stomach lurching and HE threw up too.
Guess he wanted to join the party.
This morning I said enough--I had already scheduled an appointment for me at 9-- I had the sense Thursday to get on ball and schedule at a primary care that I can hope to establish and its close to house.
But called peds dr this am at 745 and was able to get both of them in at 940.
Basically both of their sickness not responsive to antibiotics so we changed to a different one. Started this afternoon and tonight they added a cough rx for my girl since she spent the better part of an hour last nite coughing.
I was given a steroid shot (have had a ton of wheezing and coughing) and a new antibiotic as well.
I walked out of the pharmacy with an entire bag of medication.
No vomit tonight.
I suppose it's typical of any mama but when they get sick I go into what I call hyper cortisol-flowing state. In the back of my head I'm worried about everything---hospital, oh no what if fever doesn't go down, what can I do to fix this--now! And it just makes me so so wound tight.
Basically the complete opposite of go with the flow. I should know they will get sick, have high fevers, and it will be ok.
But in the middle of it, it just feels fight or flight for me and I'm a complete mess.
Part of me wonders if it is a bit of a trigger from all those times over the years my mom got sick and I could do nothing but watch. Of course comfort her and take care of her but I probably couldn't describe adequately what days/weeks/months of fighting with every ounce of fight--to no avail.
My kids sick is one of the hardest things for me as a parent. It's when I wish the most for s second set of hands. I'm still building my local community but last weekend current nanny couldn't help, back up babysitter busy, friend who comes every now and then was sick.
So just picked up my sick bootstraps and did the best i could.
I can only hope we are all on the mend. I'm physically and mentally exhausted.
No comments:
Post a Comment