I went to the appointment today and Great news: my eyeballs are perfect!! Most likely dry eye related issues. AND we talked about my long history of weirdness that hasn’t come up with anything. It was nice to talk to a dr who seemed interested in hearing whole story. He said since mris have been clear that was very good and talked through some conditions he didn’t think were the case--which made me feel better. He said it is very possible I sustained nerve trauma from the dental procedure back in dec 2014–since it was significant and the other symptoms came after that. I’ve continued to wonder about that too. He said he’s not sure of any testing to confirm that, though. I suppose at this point it gives me something else to reasearch. I do have a 6 month followup w neuro in feb so will see.
It just would be nice to know why. I’m living w the flarey weirdness just fine, but if there was something concrete then I would know if there was something I can do.
On to more fun subjects—we went for our first family bike ride this weekend!! My son on his tiny little bike, my girl on hers, then me. We have great paths in our neighborhood so off we went after tightening/raising seats, filling tires, and getting water bottles. I felt a little anxious not having full control (in the past I’d take them both in the bike trailer)....because we did have to go across a road, and because we did have to take shortcut through neighborhood road w no sidewalks. But I told them the rules ahead of time—stay to the right, single file, etc. My girl was the leader and she did pretty well. I put my son in middle, then me.
We went on Saturday and Sunday. It was pretty cool on Sunday because we made it back right before it started down pouring and my son said it was ‘so much fun’! What I loved about it is sharing with them something I’ve done my whole life, really—recreational biking. When I was little the first bike I remember I had was a banana seat ( it was light blue w clouds on the seat), then several ten-speeds after that, and finally the best bike purchase ever I made in college like in ‘96. I spent 350$ (A ton of money to me) on a Giant brand bike that I still ride to this day!! It has thousands of miles on it—it’s seen me through undergrad, grad school, starting my career, my mom living with me, finding myself after she passed, and two kids.
I have always found so much enjoyment at being able to just ‘go’...and back in the day you could do that in town without worry. I remember being 5-6 riding over to my friends’ houses, to the school, park, etc. maybe it was the freedom I loved. As I got older my favorite time to go riding was at dusk. Not the most safe, but with the sun-setting, cooling off.....a lot of good memories.
I just had a memory of riding to my best friend ambers house as a teenager. She lived about 5 miles out of town—14 years old, no helmet back then, on a two-lane highway..... off I’d go. Now, it was in a very small farming community in the Midwest, but still. Couldn’t imagine that today!!
Basically the point of my story is I’ve gone out on my bike for enjoyment as long as I can remember and now I get to do it with my kids!
Another first is: I said to another mom at the park, “I remember those days”. Since when are my kids old enough that we’ve past some stages! She was pushing her son in the swing who was two and holding a 7 month old baby strapped to her chest....and looked really weary. She said as hard as it is to get them out of the house, everyone feels better. Lady, I hear you. I totally remember thinking it was overwhelming to pack up a newborn and a toddler and all the stuff and all on limited sleep, but I did it anyway. We went to this one park back in city my son was born that had a tennis court and a little play area.I remember putting my son in the infant carrier and snap-go stroller and throwing pink tennis balls back and forth with my girl—her running and squealing after them.
It really is a big shift in parenting from newborn/toddler to 5 and 3. Back then many days were physically grueling because sleep deprivation was so high. Now that they are getting older it is certainly less physically demanding.
I thought that sleep issues were behind us but my son has something to say about that.
We are on a regression of sorts.
Back during the holidays my son was napping but then not falling asleep until 9, sometimes 930 and he normally went to bed at 8. So, I had the bright idea that maybe he’s ready to stop naps. After a week of no napping and him being completely miserable (thus the rest of us too)...I relented and said nap him. It was just too much crazy.
So he’s back to napping, which has definitely helped his demeanor, but he is now waking up in the middle of night often and coming to my room and/or getting up for the day at 5 something am. Oh heck no!! I’m not even sure what to do about it. Nanny mentioned he might be cold since we’ve had freezing weather and I turned heater to 68 and we normally have it around 71. That seemed to help, but it’s hit or miss. I know this too shall pass but oh man does it take me back to newborn days. The other night he woke at 9, 10, 11, 1, and 3. I thought for sure he was getting sick because that sometimes happens...but no. Just ended up w mama feeling so so tired. FYI as I was trying to finish this post he just woke up calling for me at 11:10pm.
I did get to celebrate my birthday this year with two children singing the words to the song. I absolutely cried. They had gotten me a cake, decorated the table, and made me handmade cards. It honestly was one of the nicest birthdays I’ve had. I was so happy and just loved it!! My girl was SO excited about my birthday and couldn’t wait to celebrate. And couldn’t wait to taste the frosting!
No comments:
Post a Comment