Just when I acknowledged to the universe I was having a great day.....we had yesterday and today.
Yesterday my baby girl had the biggest, most epic meltdown I've seen out of her--ever. We were going w/ some friends out to lunch for Father's day. They said since I am mother and father, I should be treated. Who can argue? Anyway, we all piled in the car and on the way over to the restaurant I heard a lot of whiny and no, no, no......once we got there it just got worse. She started fussing/crying while we were waiting so I took her to a separate area. She threw herself on the floor and wouldn't get up. I tried to put her on the bench but that made it worse. Then my friends came out and she started again w/ the no, no, no....no idea what she was saying no to, maybe she only wanted to be w/ mama who knows. I took her outside even and tried to calm her down. It seemed to be okay until we came back in. She threw herself down again, this time only laying on the floor (gross) and I was so anxious and sweaty, finally I called it quits....I felt like it was only going to go downhill from there after she started spitting.
And it did.
While we were walking towards the car she screamed no, wanted to walk by herself, was wriggling out of my arms, and started spitting. That is her new thing when she feels out of control....she spits, hits, throws, kicks, etc. Once in the car she let it loose....she kicked the back of the seat, screamed no no, spit running down her face, snot running down her nose.....she didn't want anyone looking at her, touching her, talking to her.....she just kept screaming. All the way on the 20 minute ride home.
I looked back at her a few times and I actually started crying myself. She was so angry, out of control, upset, and inconsolable.....I just felt so bad for her. I know she's getting ready for terrible 2's, but this was a tough one.
Once we got home I got her a bottle, put her in my lap, and we rocked for several minutes....finally did she calm down.
I truly think yesterday's episode is due to the fact that she is still not better. This is going on 11 days....she's had a variety of things....fever on/off, diarrhea, not eating much, sleeping poorly, sooo whiny/cranky, moved to cough/congestion/runny nose. Well just today the babysitter brought her home early because she had been tugging at her ear saying hurt, hurt. I called the Dr.'s office and nurse said to bring her back....they had an appointment today so we took it, even though she was there just 4 days ago. She was sooo fussy and still just not herself so I threw us in the car and we went over. In fact, she kept asking for her babysitter so I had her come too.
Believe it or not she does not have an ear infection or any kind of infection. She didn't have a fever in the office....her ears were clear, her throat looked good, she didn't have swollen lymph nodes.
What the heck......the Dr. said that she is the 4th child in a row that she's seen that has had similar symptoms, but related to virus. I was even worried she may have chickenpox because she had 4 raised spots on her head. nope. The only issue is that it continues to carry on. I asked if it could be allergy related and she said it's possible. We can try some over the counter ben.a.dryl in p.m. and zy.r.tec in am for a few days to see if it helps. Dr. said we need to continue watching her and of course if fever spikes to come back. I realize if virus not much we can do, but I worry so much.......I just hate seeing her feeling bad and just not getting better.
Not only that, I am exhausted too. It takes a lot a lot of patience to deal w/ her in this state and some nights she wakes up and can't put herself back to sleep. I am not feeling the best either, mostly I think due to my allergies. I stopped taking my rx for the wheezing to see if I would still wheeze. I have not, actually....however, my sinuses are all plugged up, and hurt some. I am not sure I can go w/ no medicine, but I'll wait and see.
I actually had taken a vacation day today becasue the thought of working after these past several days just overwhelmed me. I did sleep until 11:50 then went out and was productive, so felt good about that.
Now, if we can get my baby in a better place I will breathe a big sigh of relief.
Oh, I totally feel your frustration. My nearly two year old son recently had a cranky day that turned into a two hour long tantrum. At one point he was requesting a drink, but didn't want any of the drinks I offered. At one point he was screaming that he wanted juice, while he held a completely full sippy cup...he was too upset to even comprehend that it was in his hands! I keep reminding myself that I have bad/cranky days, so why should a toddler not have them also. Stay strong and remind yourself that this (phase) too shall pass.
ReplyDelete