About Me

I am 36 years old (37 now)(38 now)(49 now!), single, and want to become a mother. I had my ideal of marriage, house, baby, happiness. Well, life teaches you that nothing is certain and we all need to forge our own path. This is mine. UPDATE: and baby girl makes family :) And now baby boy makes bigger family!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Year End 2013

I'm sitting here in my recliner, red fuzzy blanket behind me and leaf fuzzy blanket on my lap. I just kicked the cat off my lap so I could write this post. I'm full from ham and couscous and feeling pretty relaxed.

These last several weeks have been such a mix.....so I'd really like to focus on the up:

My sister came down for Xmas about 5 days before the holiday and stayed until last Friday (about 7 days total).  She has really impressed me with how much she helps out when she is here....and no complaining either.  She just jumped right in and helped cook food, do dishes, spend time w/ the baby. She even took her to the park by herself. That was such a treat. I got to just sit here in the quiet while my sister was having fun with baby. She also did bathtime routine one night....and took her to the store by herself one day.  She is feeling more confident in care-taking and I can tell.

A few days before my sister got here I decided I needed to get a tree. A real one. So, we went off to the store and got one, set it up, and put the colored lights on it. It smelled amazing. I also got 2 poinsettias for the living room, put up window clings, hung a stocking, and put red/green alternating lights in my porch lights (red-green-red-green bulbs). I also cleaned the house from top to bottom so it was fresh, clean, and decorated. It felt really good.  Oh yes, I rembered to buy the sparkling grape juice we always drink every year.

I shopped early so had all my presents way ahead of time. I normally am shopping just the days before Xmas so was proud of myself that I was done. I was really excited about the "big" gift I got my sister...more on that in a minute. I got baby some pit balls and made a cardboard box to put them in, got her some shoes, a paja.na.imal book (she loves that show and it's the only one I found she will sit for 10 minutes for), and fridge magnets. I also got her two blue kid-size chairs for a sesam.e street table I found on the side of the road months ago for free. I was proud about that one. My mom would be proud about that one.

We decided to go to candlelight service at a church we hadn't been to before on Xmas eve. We always used to go w/ my mom, so it was kind of sentimental.  Baby had other plans. She wouldn't sit down more than one minute...wanted to run between the aisles. So, I spent almost the entire time chasing her outside the hall w/ my sister attending service. I was hot/sweaty/and somewhat stressed by the end of it. We ended up going back in during the candle-lighting part which was magical. The candle progression from bottom of church to top (we were on upper level) was warming to watch. I cried.  Stressed and crying.... not what I imagined.

On Xmas day we opened presents.....it was great having my sister here, but honestly w/ just the 3 of us the whole time it felt kind of just...too quiet. Like we were waiting for others to arrive or something. And the big gift I got her...an expensive purse she would never buy herself...she opened it and instead of the "oh wow awesome" she said, no, she couldn't keep it. She didn't want it. Ummmm.ooooof to the gut. I almost started crying right then and there.  I told her I thought she'd be happy about it, but I didn't want to get her something that made her feel bad. I said if she thought the money spent on a mixer was okay, why not money spent on a purse......she finally thought more about it and apologized for her reaction. I think it got to a deeper issue for her about 'deserving' something like that, but I was just happy she felt like she could keep it. We exchanged colors and it ended up working out okay....but it wasn't what I expected.

Something else that I wasn't prepared for was how I would feel starting this FET process. The medication I am taking (lu.pro.n and dex.a.me.thasone steriod and baby aspirin) has really made me exhaus-ted with a capital E (at least I think it's the medication).  I spent a lot of time when my sister was here on the sofa just feeling sooooo tired. I really felt bad because I felt like I had wasted a lot of her trip by being so tired and wanting to rest all the time.  Now, we did get out (had baby sitters on two separate days), but wish I had more energy to do more. Even now that she has left, I have had a lot of trouble 'getting going' during the day....but the minute I put baby down around 7pm, I am up and awake....like could be up until 2 am awake.

It's been a bit tough over the last few days because I went for labs on Monday. Unfortunately my estrogen is super high, so they are going to delay my timeline.  The Dr. thinks it's because a cycle is due and they won't start the rest of the meds until that happens. My only thing w/ that is....they know my body doesn't react normally w cycles....if I was supposed to have one, then I don't know why they didn't just make my body have one to keep the process going. It's making me nervous because let's not forget that I am starting my job at the end of the month....in another state. Still no house yet and still no care lined up.

Here's where it gets tough....today's phone call was not a good one.  I've mentioned in my blog before that I have a friend who is not supportive of me going forward w/ another baby. I've known her going on 11 years now and she is somewhat of a mother-figure age-wise. She may read this blog, not sure, but I can write what I need to.......
Anyway, a few days ago I had asked if I could fly her over here mid Jan so she could be here for my daughter while I was on bedrest for the 2 days required. She said she would check her schedule, but most likely could do it. I then texted her Monday to say it was delayed so no worries.

She called me today to 'talk'.  She basically said in so many words she is not supportive of me moving forward w/ another baby for many reasons......her biggest one is that I had such a complicated/difficult pregnancy last time--haven't I thought about that my daughter needs her mom? I asked her what she meant by that and she thinks it's more important to keep me healthy than risk complications. She also said that unless something miraculous had happened since last time she saw me, that I am not in the shape I need to be to start a pregnancy (this one stung pretty bad). And, have I found a Dr. in my new city to handle my case once I get there? and have I talked to my previous high-risk OB about another pregnancy and does she support it? I told her my reproductive Dr. who I've been seeing for over 5 years is well-aware of my history/case/difficult pregnancy and was supportive of moving forward. But once she realized that the OB was not consulted, she grabbed onto that one pretty firm and said she just doesn't understand why I wouldn't do that. That of course the reproductive Dr.'s goal is pregnancy, but he wasn't there for the entire thing.  So, I agreed I would and called their office today.

Overall very tough conversation.  I haven't had anyone really challenge my decision about family like that and be so open/blunt.  I am not angry at her for bringing up facts that she is concerned about.....but what I told her was most hurtful was that she insinuated that I wasn't thinking about my daughter.  When in fact, that is exactly who I am thinking about in making this decision.
I really need to process it a bit more.

I guess maybe I am in the bloggyland bubble when I read about others who just make it work, difficult pregnancies and all. Maybe I do have on rose-colored glasses. Maybe I am naive to think that I can make it all work and it will all fall into place.
It's kind of interesting to see that when it was the first one, folks were in general pretty positive. Now that it's the secone one, and behind a difficult pregnancy.....tune is different, at least w/ this friend.
The thing that I don't want to have happen is that if it becomes a difficult pregnancy, I get on bed-rest, or what have you.....and I see the 'I told you so' face.  Certainly not going to change my decision because of that, but it makes me feel like I don't really have the physical support because I don't have the emotional support.  Not like my first thought would be, hey, let me call X, I'm not feeling well. you know?

To end on a much needed high note......Watching my baby girl grow into a little toddler over 2013 has been stupendous, amazing, frustrating, and oh so fulfilling.  We started the year w/ an almost 5 month old tiny little baby......and now she is miss personality go-go-go girl. Her communication has flourished, she can tell me what she wants, show me, and walk me there. She still has her dramatic-fling-herself on the floor cry, her whining whining, but she also has unsolicted come to me and given me kisses and hugs that melt my heart.  We are continuously bonding, she is continuously testing boundaries......and she now "reads" me stories. Eats all by herself too. She does this thing where if it's something she really likes she picks it up, chews w/ her mouth closed, squeezes her eyes tight, leans her head back a bit as if to say, Ah, this is so good.

She is blossoming and I can only imagine the changes for 2014. Baby sister or brother and all.
Wishing all of you a Happy New Year.


 








No comments:

Post a Comment