Thanks for the comment on my last post. I do feel better knowing the questions I ask are normal and what we are doing is normal. W/out other mommy friends around, it's hard to just "know" some of this stuff.
I had such an interesting conversation yesterday w/ my neighbor. It was sunny and 'somewhat' warm out yesterday so baby and I took a walk down a few houses where the neighbor girls were putting up xmas decorations. Their mom came out and we sat down in the grass and just caught up while girls played w/ baby. I told her that I had news......we were moving again. She's a nice lady, only just 5 or so years older than I, but seems much older since she has a 15 and 17 year old.
The first words out of her mouth were.....I am so envious of you. Just like that. I kind of had to think a minute and just simply asked her why she felt that way.
She said because I can just pick up and go wherever and whenever I wanted. I can buy as many houses as I want, I can move to other states.....just go.
The funny thing is.......I envy what she has......she has a husband, his mother lives around the corner, they have a non-moving family home, they have aunts, uncles, cousins galore (they are from here) all around. What more could you want? Seems my envy of the deep roots is exactly the opposite of her envy of my utter mobility.
Greener grass, huh?
So, it is getting to be the holidays and I still don't have a house to move to in my new city. I am just not finding what I am comfortable with....location, price. I think I've narrowed down where I want to live, but not much inventory. This time of year isn't the best either. What I have learned, though, is it's possible that to get what I want I will have to build it. So, moving to another city, build a home, be a single mom, and be pregnant all at the same time. I think I've lost my mind.
I keep thinking, though, if we are there 5+ years, I better like where I live.
I made one key decision...I decided not to sell my current house. I am going to rent it. I waffled (like I do w/ most big decisions) and made the plunge. The company will pay me a percentage of the appraisal to keep, so it works out fine. I've decided if I don't want to keep long term and deal w/ the hassle of renters, I can always sell later.
The idea is that after my assignment, I will move back here. Who knows at that time if I will want to live in this house, but now I have the option.
I also interviewed a nanny when I took my last trip over there....she was 'okay'. I think she knew she didn't want to do what she was doing, but not sure she really wanted to nanny. She needed more money. I didn't get a warm fuzzy from her and had pretty much made up my mind that she was not the person for us. But, I've learned in my years that it's better to let the other person bow out first. So, I sent her an email asking what she thought? Not putting my opinion in there.....and she said she actually prefers a job where she can have some benefits. My intuition was right.
So, the search continues.......
I am almost at the point where daycare may be the option. It will be an adjust for both of us.....but one thing is that she is very social, and could use some structured learning to her day. It will be much more stimulating, that's for sure.
On baby note, now that I've been home w/ her quite a bit since I am not working and nanny is done, I am finding that I am liking the 'stay at home' idea more. I will certainly go back to work, but I think now that she can communicate more there seems to be less whining and we have a lot of fun. We go to the park, stores, etc. and I just enjoy spending time w/ her.
No comments:
Post a Comment