I’m so happy to say that our last few months have been
really really good. Knock on wood
everyone finally is healthy for a few weeks now and we got to just enjoy the
holidays. I couldn’t have been more proud of myself—I was finished
shopping before Dec 24, AND…..I wrapped everything before Dec 24. That is major
folks. Just major. I actually started shopping in October. Normally I’m all
stressed, scrambling to get exactly what I’m looking for, feverishly wrapping
the night of xmas eve after church service. That’s the normal schedule.
It just felt so smooth this year….I think part of my
strategy was to start early and outsource. My daughter loves wrapping so I
asked her if she wanted to wrap all of my gifts to my sister. She of course
said yes, so she and I did it together. There is no doubt she will be a leader
someday. She wanted me to ‘help’, but when I tried to do a few things she got
frazzled and she just said, ‘Can you just watch?’. Lol.
The one thing I struggled with was outfits….my girl is
very particular and of course for both not all sizes are created equal. I felt
like I purchased (and returned) a ton of things because they just didn’t work.
My son has thick legs and so the skinnier jean trend just doesn’t work for him.
I wanted the outfits for 3 reasons, 1) In the past I’ve done mini professional
photo sessions in October and this was one thing I wasn’t on the ball about.
So, last year and this year I used my ‘good’ camera and went to a local park to
take our xmas card picture, and then I usually make a few prints and make
kitchen magnets as well to give as gifts. 2) Pictures with Santa and 3)
Christmas eve church service.
For pictures with Santa, I was totally on the ball w/
this as well because I scheduled a visit ahead of time and remembered to do it!
So we had a reservation and on Dec 17 so it was a quick pop in and a short
wait. As usual, my son expressed his displeasure about the experience—I think
almost every year before this one he’s been crying and fussing in the line,
which to be fair almost every year he’s been sick around xmas time. The good thing is this Santa is my favorite
and he’s been doing it for years and he’s out at our mall. I have to say I was
a bit sad because my daughter said she wasn’t too into Santa pictures this year
as we were riding over. Actually, the only reason I every did them every year
was because she got so excited to do them. I’m not sure why other than she said
she doesn’t like getting ‘dressed up’ because I usually make her wear her
gorgeous curls down. It gets in her face, so 99.9% of the time she wears her
hair in a ponytail.
Christmas eve service was just ok….there are some new
pastors and I can’t say I’m a fan. We go once a year and my hope is to leave
feeling a bit uplifted, however this one pastor kept saying how he knows how
everyone’s life is a ‘mess’, we all have ‘struggles’…..by far my life is not a
mess. I understand his point, but it just rubbed me a kind of way hearing it
over and over when honestly I think life is going pretty great.
Xmas day went well, my sister cooked a prime rib, we made
a potato casserole, and some vegs. Of course sparkling grape juice. The entire trip with my sister went the best
I think it has. There were no issues/confrontations/moods/lashing out. It was
even and positive, which is all I’ve ever wanted from her. She’s working on
building her relationship w/ my son because he’s still a bit wary of her tone,
etc. Also, I realized she has a more authoritarian style than I do, which he’s
not used to at all…..but they played Yahtzee together and talked a few times so
I think it was good.
One of the best hits of presents was the game of LIFE. My
girl played it at her friends house and now both my son and my girl play
together (gasp) and really enjoy it. I love to see them playing more together
and not bicker all. The. Time.
Oh, right before xmas on December December 16th
and December 19th my son is now officially in his ortho phase
1. I decided on a new orthodontist this
time—she’s the sister of our pediatric dentist. She recommended an expander for
9 months and after the first 4 months, she’ll put braces on the top 4 teeth,
and possibly the bottom 4 teeth. This is done supposedly to widen the palate
then let it fuse in place. This will create spacing for all the teeth to be
able to drop in. In theory, I understand how it’s supposed to work….in
practice, my son has a metal contraption glued to both sides of his upper teeth
and runs along the top, but not all the way to the top. He’s had it in about a
week and half and let’s just say that hasn’t been so smooth. On the 16th they put in these
‘spacers’ on his back teeth to prepare for the install. Then on the 19th,
they installed/glued the expander in. I didn’t immediately connect it, but he
has been very….very….very fussy since then.
He’s not complained it hurts, so I didn’t think it was bothering him.
But, it clearly has been. They said it should stop ‘bothering’ him after at
least 2 weeks, so we will see. He had to
relearn how to swallow, and he’s not swallowing as much so his spit collects and
I have to remind him to swallow. In addition, it is affecting his speech which
I’m sure his speech therapist at school will love. I can only hope this was the right thing to
do, as I didn’t love for my girl she had a whole set of braces on her pretty straight
teeth on the top and the bottom just to make room for a tooth, and she’ll
likely need another set of braces when all her teeth come in because they
aren’t completely straight anymore. We will see how this approach goes. The
next step is after a month, we start to use a key to make quarter turns in it
everynight until it gets as wide as it is supposed to. My question is….so how
does the bottom widen?
As for school, we are still having some challenges for my
son--ironically, it’s because it’s still not challenging for him. I reached out
to his teachers on 2 occasions now including conferences and I’m pretty
disappointed--not getting much traction. For example, I waited two months for a return email about
what we can do to help him be more challenged with math IN the classroom and
her reponse was that the instructional coach said he could do XYZ at home. So I
waited 2 months for her to tell me what we can do more at home. Not helpful at
all. I think I’ll need to escalate to
the assistant principal or principal at this point. We had the same issues last
year, and nothing seems to be different. The teachers said they can’t teach
beyond the current year’s curriculum, which is a shame, but there has to be
something they can do. My son says the only day he really likes is when he’s in
his GT class on Friday and they are learning about topics and working with
logic, etc.. They actually keep all GT
kids in one classroom, so 2 others Aarav (his best buddy) and Cora are in his
classroom as well. I’ve really gotten to know Aarav’s mom Neha because our boys
have been in two soccer seasons together, currently basketball, and have been
in the same classroom last year and this.
She’s also having the same struggles with the school. She’s actually
been researching private school because she has an older son in 4th
grade who is also GT, and she said it’s not any different. I wasn’t planning on
private school, but I’d consider. It just makes me wonder is it our teachers,
our school, our district? I’ve not been in love w/ our elementary since the
start. When anyone asks I say it’s ‘fine’.
We’ve had I’d say 1 outstanding teacher for both my kids--Mrs. Schau for
my daughter’s 3rd grade, and she’s no longer at the school.
Over the break my son has started hanging out w/ the
basketball crew he plays with in league (Aarav, Pedro, Ata, and my son). The moms have rotated around having the boys
over so they can just get their energy out while not in school. It’s been a
real treat to keep my son occupied while I spend some time w/ my girl and go do things I need to do. Well, the boys were all in our backyard yesterday for
soccer (my son is a bit obsessed w/ soccer these days along w/ playing yahtzee) and basically they busted out multiple things: 1)
the light 2) the fence and 3) the garage. Big sigh. Although honestly I’d rather have them
outside playing than on their devices all day, so there’s that. Add the fixing to my list.
 |
| Hit Number 1 |
 |
| Hit Number 2 |
 |
| Hit Number 3 |
My girl has hit just a really lovely stage right now
where she says I love you many times a day and get this—I even get kisses on
the cheek. She asks to lay in my lap in the rocking chair. She’s always been a
kid where it’s on her terms….and I think since she’s been feeling better she is
just showing affection more and more. Heart burst. I’ve also noticed a step
change in her maturity over the last few months…..we’ve been practicing and
I’ve been modeling for years when you lose your temper or do something you
probably shouldn’t do…..when you calm down, you go back to the person and
apologize. It’s something I’m very proud
of doing because no one wants to admit they were wrong, but I feel so strongly
that kids need to see it and hear it that parents aren’t always right. Parents
make mistakes….and it’s ok. We learn and grow from them. Part of that is to own
it. It’s really impressive, actually, because she’s doing at 10 what some grown
adults still can’t do.
So, especially over the last few weeks when my girl has
lost her temper at me, she’s taken herself out of the room….then maybe five
minutes later she’ll come find me and say mom, I’m sorry. I thank her and say
how proud I am of how she’s handling herself.
Another example, our neighbor boy Teddy came over and the kids were
playing Yahtzee. I was in the other room and I start hearing there is ‘betting’
going on in the game. Somehow pokemon cards were part of the bargaining and
somehow Teddy was ending up with most of them. I basically put a stop to it
because I had told both my girl and Teddy before that they are not allowed to
‘trade’ because Teddy’s been known to be a bit slick and end up w/ a bunch of cards—not
ok w/ me. So, of course when I told her no, she was extremely upset. She
started yelling and saying no, and how unfair it was, and on and on. I held
firm so Teddy left and she went to her room.
About 15 minutes later she comes out right up to me and says mom, I’m
sorry. I explained to her WHY I said no, and that I thought it was unfair and I
didn’t want her to lose her good cards. She said she understood and apologized
a few more times.
What I’m so proud to see is that I didn’t ask her to do
any of it. She decided on her own to remove herself, take some time to think,
calmed down, and came out and apologized.
It really warms my heart to see that even we’ve had some very serious
tough times, we both figured out a way to work through things and communicate
to a resolution. She very much wants to
talk things through before going to bed if anything is bothering her or she
feels is unresolved. So so proud. This is big for her. In the past, she had a
really hard time admitting she was at fault for anything.
Just as a follow up on basketball I did end up sending an
email to the head coach. My girl was struggling a bit w/ the assistant coach
and at only age 10, there’s no reason a coach should be using a punitive style
and be negative. So not necessary. Thankfully, the head coach got the message
and the assistant really turned it around, especially for my girl. I was
appreciative of his efforts. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Also, in a few weeks on January 10th we go to
middle school orientation. Oh em gee. Can’t even believe it. We apparently
learn about electives, what to choose, how it all works, etc.. Apparently they’ve
been talking between the girls at school because my daughter says she wants to
choose drama stage crew. I know absolutely nothing about the process, the new
school, how it all works so I have a lot to catch up on. I’m not ready.
One of my very favorite ‘gifts’ this year came from my
daughter. She had given me an ‘I love mom’ tumbler/insulated cup that she ordered
(with the help of my sister) from amazon…however, it wasn’t just the cup that
was so cute and thoughtful…..she included a tiny card with it. When I opened it
up I just started crying. It said” thank you for being the only 1 that TRULY understands
ME. P.S. write down a Free thing such as
chores here” with an arrow and a few lines. When I opened it I asked her, ‘You
really feel that way?’ (I had no idea) and she said yes, she does….and we
hugged and hugged. I just wept because I’ve been trying so hard over the years
to let her know that while I’ve made mistakes, I’ve tried my absolute best to
be there for her, help her, connect with her, support her….and this just said
to me that she sees it. I felt so bonded w/ her in that moment. What a gift.
And then there’s me….I thought I’d feel a bit more melancholy
about the end of the year—highs/lows of 2022, thinking about how fast times
goes, etc….but I really don’t feel that way. In this moment I feel somewhat
content. I’m thankful I’m not working and don’t have that heavy load to bear
and I’m thankful my children are doing well. I’m thankful for the time I’m
investing in being a stay at home mom, going to their events, making dinner,
keeping up the house…it’s a full time job w/out the check. I’m also thankful
that helping my sister w/ her business has turned into something I really truly
enjoy and look forward to. It’s also strengthened our relationship.
Some things to work on for the upcoming year, call them
New Year’s resolutions if you will: I still have a lot of anxiety I’d like to look
deeper at. I worry a lot about the kids when they aren’t here….it’s not just
the basic, ‘I hope they are ok’ type thing it’s, hey you can’t go to that event
an hour from here (because I’m worried about someone else driving you and I
couldn’t bear if something happened kind of thing). Not going to a new year’s celebration because
I’m worried about the ‘what if’s’. In
the past, my anxiety hasn’t really prevented me from doing certain things, so I
am noticing it trickle in a bit more with me and I’m projecting it onto the
kids.
There’s always the usual ‘get more healthy’, but this
year I’d like to actually make progress w/ this. I’ve decided that I think a
lot about this, but fail to really make actual progress. I think I need to make
an actual plan and I really need some outside help. Relying on myself and thinking
about different programs hasn’t worked for me. I need to figure out what this
might/could look like in 2023 and just do it and act instead of just think. I think
therapy could be a good tool for this one. Also, I need to take advantage of the ‘time’ I have
not working because soon enough, I’m sure that will change and I’ll head back
to work.
And the other thing is…I need to get a new bed! I haven’t
slept consistently in my room/bed for about a year. I sleep in the living room
in the recliner or the couch because I’m in a more upright position. I’ve got a
bad snoring problem (I’m told) and do have mild sleep apnea…so sleeping more
upright is the best way I can get the deepest sleep. Even w/ sleeping this way,
I still wake about every 3 hours all night. Funny enough I sleep the best in
our crappy old 10+ year old falling apart sofa. I need to invest in an adjustable bed, it is a
must. It will help me get back into my room at night and perhaps contribute to
my overall wellbeing with good sleep hygiene. Now that I think about it, why
isn’t this at the top of my list? Perhaps it goes to the ‘self-care’ lack
thereof I became aware of. I’ve just made do because I haven’t made it a
priority…also because making large purchases kicks my anxiety into gear and it’s
hard for me to make decisions. I think that’s also why I’ve avoided it. The thing is, it’s not even about the money.
This needs to be a goal I achieve in 2023.
And that’s all I can think of right now.
On a positive note, I’ve got new tenants in my bungalow
rental starting Jan 1 and they wanted to lease for 18 months…hurrah. I’m really proud of the work I’ve put into
updating the property. From after the freeze in 2021, I’ve updated the house interior,
the garage apartment interior, new appliances in the house, the exterior of the
house and garage, and landscaping. It’s
turned out adorable and I would live there myself. My plan is to keep it long
term so it was time to invest in some upgrades. I’ve now been able to increase
the rent so 500/mo w/ the house and 200/mo w/ the apartment. Hoorah!
 |
| Isn't she cute? |
Goodbye 2022, hello 2023!!
Happy New Year!
PS Sunflower I read your post and I empathize with you. It is so hard year after year when your loved one isn't here. I think about my mom daily...and I was hopeful something would fill that void/hole, but nothing has for me. Of course I have the memories, but I just wish I had something more. My thoughts go out to you/your family.
No comments:
Post a Comment