About Me

I am 36 years old (37 now)(38 now)(49 now!), single, and want to become a mother. I had my ideal of marriage, house, baby, happiness. Well, life teaches you that nothing is certain and we all need to forge our own path. This is mine. UPDATE: and baby girl makes family :) And now baby boy makes bigger family!

Monday, September 12, 2022

It was the Best of Times....It was the Worst of Times

Last time I wrote about what was likely our best day all summer.  I'm now going to tell you about likely our worst time this summer/Fall.

Covid 2.0.

I can't even begin to say how hard life has been for the last few weeks. It all started on Wednesday August 31st. I was at a company meeting all day in a room of 50 people. By the end of the day I was starting to feel fatigued, which is not unusual, but after driving home I was noticing my throat starting to burn/hurt.  Both of my kids have been sick since the 1st-2nd week of school so that fun statistic continues. Anyway, both of them have had coughs, sore throats, runny noses, fatigue, mild fevers, etc....you name it, they had it.  I just assumed it was finally catching up with me. I didn't work Thursday and I got progressively worse over the Labor day holiday weekend...aches, major head congestion, raging headaches which I rarely get, mild fever.  I was just taking dayquil/nyquil/advil in order to get some relief. Then Sunday comes and I picked up a laundry item and couldn't smell the detergent or dryer sheet smell. Funny enough I was picking it up because my son said it was clean and I didn't believe him, so I tried to smell. Then I was eating something, likely a popsicle since we had a ton of them in the house from everyone being sick, and I could taste it was sweet, but was missing some of the flavor.  Crap.  As soon as that happened I took an at home test on Sunday evening and the sample line as screaming RED before the control line even had time to show up. I thought the sample line WAS the control line w/ how quickly it popped up, and dark as could be.

Of course with the holiday on Monday I let work know Tuesday I wasn't coming and spoke to the office nurse. She said since I was having symptoms to just go ahead and stay home the rest of the week. That part was the silver lining in all this because I have had the heavy burden of trying to find adequate part time childcare and have been striking out everywhere.  Our summer babysitter went back to college almost a month ago....I've been managing it through my work from home days and our neighbor.

I'd say this time around was in some ways harder because it was more painful....the headache was something I've never experienced.....just relentless.  And let's not forget I'm a single mom with 2 younger kids.  I did what I could to survive during the worst of it. I had food delivered, I had groceries delivered...I let the kids watch as much Ipad as their eyes would allow...I moved from the couch to the chair.  Chair to the couch. For days........I did call my Dr. and had a virtual visit on last Tuesday. It was a bit worthless because she said since I'm vaccinated, boosted, and past the initial few days of symptom onset, and my breathing was fine...that there wasn't much she could do. Flonase. That was all she suggested. Big sigh.

This time was equally as hard when it came to trying to keep a household running when so sick and by myself.  Amy did not come as she was helping someone in her family, and my sister offered but I just didn't know how I felt about that so I said no. It's hard.  It's lonely.  At the end of the day, I do just rely on me. I've said all along there is not much harder things than being sick and taking care of sick people.  It wretched. Noone feels well, everyone's grouchy and tired. noone sleeps well. you just want to feel better. and I missed my mom more than ever. Tomorrow is the anniversary and she will have been gone 14 years. That's likely a separate post.

Thankfully this go round was not as long...last time was around 17 days before a glimmer of feeling better...this time it was about 7 days when I finally started to feel slightly better where I could sit up and think. Then rested as much as you can when you have no help and children. Today I think I'm at 95% which is so much better than where I was a week and a half ago. 

Suffice it to say, I do have such a gratitude for my health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment