My son has been a total champ!! Our first week of pre-k 3 is over and we are now starting our second week. Great news: he has not shed one tear! That first day he walked in, started playing, and hasn’t been phased at all. I was a hot blubbering mess, but that’s just how it goes for me. When I was at the door for pickup on the first day I was reaching my head as high as I could to catch a glimpse of him, then I asked the teacher ms Delania if he did ok, did he ask for me???
She leans in and says, ‘hate to tell you this mom but he didn’t ask for you at all”. I said awesome and breathed a massive sigh of relief. That was so good to hear because I could hear the wails of some of the kids—probably crying from the morning. I was so thankful my son just took it all in stride.
I was so happy to see his little face when he saw me at the door and his face lit up, my heart just burst. He wanted to go to ‘mcdogdogs’ for lunch so of course we had to go for his special first day. Then he told us about one of the kids tried to hit/kick the teacher and had to sit in a green chair. I wasn’t sure if he was making it up so the next morning I asked teacher and he was right.
He also again told me it was boring!
I was still hesitant to call victory because the first day can be fine, then when they realize oh, this wasn’t just for one day, it can be harder. But not for my boy. He waltzed on in for day 2 and 3, hung up his backpack, and got to playing.
I’ve tried to ask him questions that aren’t yes or no like: what was your favorite part of your day? He says he likes ‘the home center’ where they have cute little salt and pepper shakers, an oven and a sink etc. it’s funny because he also usually tells me about the kids that misbehave because apparently even today two little boys were arguing. I usually respond with, no way! And he gets this big smile and says yes mom they did!! His expression is like he’s saying—, can you believe they did that?!
I also try to make a lesson and ask him if what they did was nice or not? And he knows what is the right behaviors at school.
Day two the teacher said he went up to her and told her he loved her. Awwwww. She said it reminded them of my girl too because apparently she used to do that a lot at school.
I am really really proud that he’s done so well. I tell him often how great he’s doing, that the teachers say he’s doing awesome. He’s such a boy because his response is like, yeah ok. Cool.
Today I picked him up and when I peeked into the door and we made eye contact his face just lit up and he ran over to me and we hugged....these moments just bring tears to my eyes. I literally had to stop myself from full on crying! I’m such a sap.
His personality is already expanding and he can be hilarious and clever. As we were walking out today he asks where we were going to lunch? I said I’m not sure....he says ‘hold on, let me check my phone’ and proceeds to stick out his hand palm up and ‘scrolls’ on it with his fingers. Then says ok, can’t tell you until we get into the car. It’s a surprise.
This kid.
Then later tonight we are playing this snail game and his sister comes out right before her bath and he says ‘No vaginas. No vaginas allowed’. I’m sure he’ll love me for that story someday.
And today we really did have such a sweet, awesome lunch. Yes we went to his favorite place just the two of us and he snuggled right in next to me, both eating our lunches, rain outside...I just felt so content hanging out w my snuggle bug. So many hugs and I love you’s.....
4 (well almost 4) is such an amazing age. The fussies are less, you can reason with them more...I am hopeful that after the little head colds go away they both have he will start sleeping through the night again. I hope!!
Looking forward to school continuing to go well and he continues to enjoy/like going, etc.
I love the school and am glad we still get to be a part of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment