I only posted once in August. I don't know what happened other than I was very tired in the evenings when I usually blog. So many a night I said, self--you need to blog. And frankly just ignored myself and rested instead.
Now I have to say her birthday was last month already!
I want to talk about my son first. Things are a changin'. He's 23 months now and i think he's in a growing/ developmental phase. Night time routine is out the window. We go to bed at 7 and it used to be bottle with rocking, put in bed, he went to sleep. About a week ago I introduced reading every night and tried no bottle so it was read, rocking, bed....and that resulted in scream scream wailing until I go back in there and hold him in rocker, on and off screaming until about 8. Then I tried adding bottle back in so read, bottle and rock, bed. Still screaming. It seems he just wants to be held so I oblige. As long as I can keep my girl occupied the additional rocking/holding has helped.
Not sure if it was the change in routine or just where he's at developmentally but I've been a bit surprised because unless he's sick or teething laying him down for bed hasn't been an issue.
On the go: He's into everything that's not a toy. It's like he's early toddler all over again because I have to chase after him and keep him out of everything. Worse now because he's faster. I don't remember it being like this with my girl. Once she got past the initial exploration phase she kind of stuck around me. Him??? He's off in a million directions, dumping things out( favorite is the recycle bin-he LOVES that thing--and has learned where the garbage bags are so gets multiple at a time to 'change' it. He even drags the full size can around, takes lid off, stuff out, bag out, lid on, stuff drug around, lid off, etc). On the flip side he LOVES to pick up so will usually dump, pick up, and dump some more. It's exhausting keeping up with him. I'm wondering if that's what they mean when they say "he's all boy".
He also loves to help mama. It's so cute when I'm in the shower he comes and pulls down my towel to give to me.
Communication--seeing some progress. In the last few weeks he's learned to shake his head no. And knows what he means. Do you want a banana? Shakes head no. I've really liked this one because it cuts down the guessing game.
The other surprising thing I learned is that he knows and can do way more than I thought. For example, since I started reading every night I started asking him--where is the kitty, etc and he points to it! He learned how to make a dog panting sound (sign language for dog) and is trying other sounds. It's not that we've not read before--he's always flipped through books and I would read in the mornings when he got up so early--but during the day he is just not interested to sit and read. What's cool about where he is at is we are interacting through the books and that is new for us. It surprised me and I tell him how proud I am. It made me realize he really understands way more than I assumed. Although he's always been pretty good about following directions.
He's still not verbalizing more words yet. He's making new/more sounds which is good. He says haaaaa for hot. He says mmmmmm for more and moo. He can say mama but it's usually strung together
Mamamamamama. And he still says Bom-Bom clear as day at the end of our songs. We've had 10 speech therapy appointments already so are waiting for the authorization from insurance to continue.
Tantrums--they are here. And he gets so mad. Throws himself down. Just the other night he had one when I came home after work where nothing would calm him down. That was new. I feel bad for the little guy and just tell him he's having a tantrum, shhh-shhhing to try and help. They aren't near the frequency his sister had so for now it's manageable.
He's a persistent little bugger. He's obsessed with moving the chair from the table over to the counter and trying to reach things up there. Mainly the phone my girl watches Pb s kids on. Obsessed. After getting him down like 5 times the other night I had had it--I put all the chairs outside and put the recycle bin up on the counter.
For all the learning and changes he's going through he still is a loving little boy. He snuggles (although less often) but when we do its like he just melts onto my lap. Tonight he was running his chubby little hand up and down my arm when we were rocking....love.
My girl----oh what changes. Since she turned 4 no more bottles. And it really wasn't much more than a blip for her. After her birthday she asked in the morning a few times but I told her she's 4 now and we don't have bottles when we're 4. She seemed satisfied with the answer but did say she still wanted to be three. Ha. She pretty much stopped asking for them and it's been just fine.
The other barely a blip thing for her was sleeping in big girl bed!!!!! It took awhile after it was delivered because silly mama, I hadn't thought to order any bedding! Well that's not totally true I thought the day before her party I would go to the store, buy bedding, and call it a day. Well I've learned selection is poor at many stores and I'm probably going to have to get online--I really want to decorate her room something cool. So our old nanny mailed a twin bedding set from when her daughter was little that they don't use anymore. That's on her bed until further notice.
So her new bed was there for a few weeks before she slept the night in it. She started taking rest time in it and think was just ready to make the switch when I finally put blankets on it. My nanny ended up buying the waterproof mattress cover as the last piece to have it ready for her.
No problems at all and it's been maybe a few weeks now that she's been in it. She's fallen out once the other morning but was fine.
Something I didn't realize would be such a benefit? Even the twin has room for me to snuggle next to her when I put her to bed. She likes that I hold her hand and that's been part of our routine for awhile, but now I can do it laying next to her. I think we both really like the connection.
We had meet the teacher from 10-11 at her school this past Thursday. We are going to the same school and I'm glad about that. It starts day after Labor Day.
I'm not sure yet on the teacher--she's not as 'warm' as I would like but her helper is super warm, so maybe they balance out. My girl for a few weeks has said she doesn't like her new teacher when we talk about school starting up. Now that she's met her she says she's ok. Whew.
Met a few parents the same day but I find its kind of wierd--same as her last 3 year old class--parents kind of stick to themselves. I introduced myself to a woman who's son will sit next to my girl. She was nice, we had a little small talk, but no one else introduced themselves, even those standing close by. I even went up to another mom to start a conversation and she looked like a deer in headlights. Maybe she was an introvert who knows. I am too but at least I tried. I was sweating the entire hour! These things stress me out it seems. Although it could also have been my son running in 15 directions.
I just hope they have nice, solid kids.
Unlike at our park last weekend where a boy was holding a toy gun yelling NO at my children for wanting to cross the bridge. You can bet I was up in less than 1 second telling him not gonna happen. And again, where was his mother or father?!
Her birthday!!!!!!! My baby turned 4. She's definitely taller, more verbal, some days more attitude.....but I'm thinking that we are on the cusp of less tantrums and fussies. She's starting to learn to play more independently which is great to see. She loves crafty arty things like coloring, painting, play-do, stickers, etc. She got a play do bake kit for her birthday and loves that thing--makes us many different cakes to try and will cut us pieces and serve. She's also a bit of a tom girl because she loves running (and insists on wearing her running shorts and tennis shoes most days), being active, soccer, playground, swimming, you name it. We've had fun with the Olympics and she and I watched our fair share of gymnastics, swimming, and diving. I like that we connect on sports because I played many sports throughout junior high and highschool, and collegiate volleyball. I continued to play competitively until about 2006 when after about 18 years, knee and back trouble and a shoulder surgery later got me.
I've totally digressed.
The party--turned out overall very nice. Small enough but enough people there, just the right amount of decorations, a few light snacks and drinks, and of course her awesome bakery rainbow cake. Thanks to the reader who offered a recipe--I'm way too novice to make a cake.
What I hadn't planned on was the amount of work it took to get the house cleaned and organized. I thought it could easily be done on Saturday/Sunday with party on Sunday afternoon. Probably should have started sooner. I've learned the hard way why people have parties AT places other than home.
Also, I find taking pictures stresses me out because I'm so focused on capturing the perfect moments that I don't feel I experienced it as much as I wanted to. Next birthday I need to delegate.
The party was short 2-4, no games but we did unwrap gifts. I know she enjoyed herself.
My son? Napped 30 minutes that day because he was woken up by old nanny putting ice in tub and was extremely fussy. Sigh.
Can't post this long without mentioning some hilarious things she's said. We read a book about Spider-Man and in it they say he shoots his web. It's turned into a little joke and game with us where when we are in the car she says.... Spider-Man shoots his....car! Then I say Spider-Man shoots his....tree! Or whatever we think of or see. So I said, Spider-Man shoots your brother. She says right after that....Spider-Man shoots his penis!!
I could not stop laughing on that one.
And leave it up to a 4 year old--an older gentleman was running past us on our walk to the park. He was nice, talked to the kids and as soon as he's a bit ahead of us she says, "hey, his outfit doesn't match"!
Next time I will talk about the two books I read and how I've taken on some of their advice. It has really really helped me stay more calm and focused when she misbehaves. And it's helped me learn how to do calm down (time out) a better way.
And finally--some pictures from the party
Oh yea one more thing that's new...my girl is totally into dragging things around with her. These two have been in the bath, dinner table, made beds next to her with their own blankets, pillows... And let's not mention what happens when she can't FIND ducky.....oh boy.



No comments:
Post a Comment