About Me

I am 36 years old (37 now)(38 now)(49 now!), single, and want to become a mother. I had my ideal of marriage, house, baby, happiness. Well, life teaches you that nothing is certain and we all need to forge our own path. This is mine. UPDATE: and baby girl makes family :) And now baby boy makes bigger family!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

We don't have a daddy

I've wondered since before conception about when my children will notice our family is different. What will they say? How will they say it? Although even typing that our family is different seems odd because SO many families are nontraditional. I digress.
I knew eventually it would come up but I wasn't expecting it at 3.

Tonight we were reading a book called pumpkin day. It's about a family of 4 rabbits--mommy, daddy, Trudy, and jack.
About a few pages in we see this.

She says--we have two of those (points to the kids) and a mommy but we don't have a daddy. I just paused wondering if she would ask or say anything else......

And she just went right on with the story.
Really not even a blip for her. She said it simply matter of fact. At least for now, that is. 
My thoughts around this even when she does question why is to simply say our family is made up with mommy, brother, you, and cat of course and we don't have a daddy in our family. Very simple.  It's obviously the norm for us so my goal is to keep it that way and keep it a blip--just not a big deal. I'm certain it will change over time for them but for now we are good.

She does have her fourth birthday coming next month. She is obsessed. This kid talks about her birthday every day. Her big thing is she wants a rainbow cake and noise makers that flip out when you blow through. I've had to tell her for a few months that her birthday is far away because she wanted to know if it was today? Is it today?! Like everyday.
She says "I'm gonna be 4 on my birthday" whenever the number 4 is mentioned or August. It's amazing how often those words are used.
Our old babysitter, other old babysitter and her girls--the ones my girl still talks about after a year of not seeing them--will come and stay with us for the weekend. I think that's all we will do. My sister decided too many people in the house so is not flying down.
I am planning for a few decorations, cake, and some rainbow crafts.

She still comes up with the best stuff. We were laying next to each other on the couch and she leans over to give me a kiss. Then she says "Mommy you bandage my finger when I get hurt. You cook dinner . You let me go to the swimming pool. You are a great mom." Then kisses me again on the forehead.
This was totally unprompted and so unexpected. Isn't that so awesome?!

The other day she looks up at me and says, "you are my big, huge, loving mom". Love this kid.

My son. 
So we ended up having to do another speech eval because any private insurance one wouldn't accept the state eval. So we've already done it and surprise surprise he is showing speech delay. I wasn't overly impressed with their eval or methods they talked about for therapy--just seemed so basic. Like repeating words, etc. we do that at home. I've been dragging my feet on getting regular therapy appointment scheduled but I suppose I should.
I truly think my son has learned that he doesn't HAVE to talk to get what he wants. He uses a combination of 'ah' and pointing. Multiple ah's, high pitched ah's, etc. and he understands everything. Tell him to go get x, or do x, and he's got it. He's even starting to anticipate. Yesterday I had something and was going to throw it away. He runs over to the trash and opens it, I throw, and he closes it.
I tried to see if I forced him to say something to get what he wanted could he do it? Before bed I get him a bottle. He was reaching for it and I said, "say baba". After about 5 times of me asking guess what that turkey said?! Baba.
Even with that I think still worth therapy so I have to just get on it.
Poor baby is sick again. We had a pretty good break when preschool let out but for about a week now they both had fevers. I took my girl to dermatologist because she had eczema flare and major tiny bumps all over--virus they say.
And my sons has gone to his chest with croupy and junky cough and stuffy head.
He's also got mommy-itis.when I'm getting ready in the morning if he hears me say I need to take a shower he runs to my room--and cries if nanny takes him out. When I'm heading out for work he runs to back door that I leave out of and just cries. 
Poor kid.

Me.
I do need to find another therapist. After the things I mentioned in last post she had another call off--said she was sick, dr. told her stay home. So out of 6 scheduled appointments she's missed 2.
I really need someone more reliable and organized. Last visit she asked me how much I owed her because she doesn't keep track of that stuff. Uh no. 
There isn't a perfect person out there but this lady turned out to not even be adequate. Back to drawing boards.
I will say that me getting frustrated about my experience has been good in a way because even though I wanted support to take the reigns of my weight/health, it really does boil down to no one will do it for me. There may be some elusive reason why it's been such a mental block for me but part of me gave me some tough love and said suck it up. It gave me a spark at least.
I'm rethinking about joining a program. Haven't committed but I'm leaning more now.
Other than that I started back on brand medication and feel better. I do notice less anxiety which is a relief. Also, I'm back to taking just a regular over the counter vitamin and overall I haven't felt too bad.
However, this getting older thing is for the birds. Not sure I've mentioned but over last nine years I've developed a swallowing problem--food just gets stuck and I have to drink to wash down. It's a common problem. I hadn't gone to see dr about it until recently because it really wasn't a big deal. But over last 6 months it just seemed worse. Anyway, an endoscopy, barium swallow, motility study, an insurance battle still ongoing, and about a thousand dollars out of pocket already: they still aren't sure why. Maybe I should have just left it alone! Still waiting to hear back from last study so will see I guess.

Not only that but my three year old skunks me at memory game. It's so sad because I am trying and I'm not letting her win. For real.


No comments:

Post a Comment