THEN he started the limp noodle trick, we all know it---when you try to pick them up and they don't want to--they sort of just slip through your grip to a big puddle on the floor.
It just was an aha that oh my, here we are.
He's totally testing boundaries. We have this tv console that has an open shelf and a shelf above. He's constantly stepping on it and pulling up---we say 'feet on the floor' and sometimes he listens but mostly he just smiles and giggles. When he knows I mean business he'll get down but not without a body-clenching, back-arched scream. And if he's really mad he'll throw his nuni.
And this kid has a temper. If sister grabs something he had--watch out. He used to just say oh well and reach for something else. Now? Scream, red-faced, sometimes drool coming down, maybe even real tears.
He has opinions too--when we come out to the living room he walks under the mantel and grunts and points. The remotes are up there so that means he wants to watch a show. And not just any show--George or Daniel. That's about it. When the show is over--I replay recorded ones, he turns around and his mouth drops open for a huge grunt like --do you see this! It's over! Fix it!
I now have to wrestle him just to change his clothes or diaper. I've literally had to put my leg over him to stop him from twisting and turning and carrying on.
He's now pretending he can't hear me when I call to him. Just the other morning I called out son...son. He kept going and right as he turned the corner he looked back and smiled. That whipper snapper!
Through all of that angst he is really picking up how much he communicates. He still does it through grunting and pointing, but it's amazing how much you can connect just with that.
It's kind of funny because his 'grunting' sounds a bit more chirpy--hard to describe but I find myself making the same noises back to him.
In the tub a game he likes to play is sitting still, looking right at me and says AaaaH. I repeat. He does it again louder, longer--I repeat. Then he maybe throws in a short, quiet aah just for fun. He loves it. When his sister joins in we are all aaaaahhh-ing together. Family fun.
His other new obsession is shoes. He wants to wear all kinds of shoes no matter what the size. He'll bring one over, hold it up to you, chirp...as if to say put it on me! Then he just walks and walks. Hey if this entertains him, fine by me.
I think I'm going to revise what I've said earlier about my son and that he's easy going--I think I've mistaken 'independent player' with easy going. For some reason I thought if he can occupy himself that's a relaxed kid. Ummm no it isn't.
It's not that he's high-strung or high-maintenance but he does have opinions and a temper. Maybe all kids do at this stage.
Now granted he's had a ton of things that have been very uncomfortable for him. I think his general disposition is happy when he's not teething, sick, having tummy troubles as a tiny baby, recovering from broken arm etc. it's usually something causing him not to feel well that makes him cranky and fussy.
Alas, he is becoming less and less of a hip baby and prefers to scooch down off of me than sit in my lap.
Growing independence, testing boundaries, tantrums (not awful yet but will just full on lay down and cry as needed), less huggy, selective hearing, more communication.....all signs pointing to a toddler in the house!
Even his face is becoming less baby and he's growing taller.
Oh...my boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment