The lady was talking about how people keep telling her it gets worse as the kids get older--she has a 4 year old and a baby. She thinks to herself how could it get worse--she's already sleep deprived, no social life, no personal time, barely enough time to take a shower and keep everyone fed and happy.
Why this made me feel better is that that's exactly how I've felt lately. And she has a husband to boot!
I think a more simple way of putting it is I feel burned out. I'm tired. All the time. It's been about almost a year that I've worked full time with 2 small children. You better really want to be a parent if you sign up for this. Thank goodness I do!
I think what's been particularly difficult is that for months we've been battling sickness something or another. Between both kids and myself someone's been sick since Halloween. That's 5 months!!! With 2 ER trips, countless dr visits...I don't even want to think about what it cost let alone all the sleep I've lost.
Speaking of sleep......my son has had such a terrible time with teething for all these months as well. It seems to hurt him SO badly. He's been miserable. So he wakes up regularly because of the pain. Even with the Mot.trin before bed. Just fiercely chewing his hands and wanting his nuni 24/7.
To round out the last debacle of sickness I had a stomach virus last week and my daughter caught another cold, and it was spring break! No school germs. I've never had a bug such that it's been over a week and I'm still having stomach cramping, etc.
All of this to say I feel like I'm a hamster on the wheel but I'm slowly not keeping up. My purse strap has been broken for 2 months. Haven't bought a new one yet and it irritates me everytime I have to hold it. That's my story right now with everything.
My taxes aren't done
My fridge is making awful noise
My car needs serviced
My cat probably needs to go to a vet because he has licked/chewed off his fur in a line on his belly.
And I stopped brushing my teeth at night because I pass out on the sofa and wait for one of the kids to wake me (from anywhere between 11-3am) before I haul myself to my room.
I get so mad too because for some reason I STILL think a few weekends of getting to sleep 3 extra hours when I have a babysitter should make it all better. And of course it doesn't and I get mad that it costs me so much money just to sleep!
I think I really just need a break. I need to not be at work OR parenting. And the only time that happens during the work week is after my babysitter shows up at 7 am and I crawl back in bed until max 8am. However Our nanny does come on Sunday a few hours and I spend that time usually resting as well. So it's not like I don't have any time.
I think I just felt better reading the article because I felt less upset about being so exhausted. I will have a work trip coming the first week in April where I fly to Colorado on the 3rd Sunday and don't come back until that Friday. That may very well be the longest I've been away.
I know it's been tough but I don't want to leave the impression nothing is going well. My girl is doing SO WELL in school and she really likes it--says it's fun. I just went to the Easter party today and her teacher said she has transitioned very well socially and academically. She's a sponge. The other day out of the blue she said that an asteroid is a rock in the sky. Also, she was playing a doctor and said I need to be healthy and shouldn't eat trans-fat! Where does she get this stuff?
Some other hilarious things:
--we were going through the grocery store parking lot and we went over the bumps and she says "Mommy! Did you run over someone?!"
--they must have a color system at school because when we were playing school she said I wasn't a good listener and i needed to go to yellow. Then she said "If I put you in orange im going to contact your parent"!
For the first time she's naming things. She told me there were twins Jeffrey and Jason. At first they were teeny tiny somethings and then they ended up being her animals. I can't keep up.
We've also got our nighttime Cinderella story down to about 2 minutes.
Ahem
Cinder.ella went outside and put her head down on the bench.
And her fairy godmother showed up and she said bippity-boppity....Baby girl says boo.
She made Cind.erella a carriage and a beautiful dress.
Cind.erella went to the ball, danced with the prince.
And the clock said--we both say dong. Dong.dong.
Cind.erella ran down the stairs and her glass slipper came off. Baby girl says-she should have worn shoes.
And the prince tried it on the first step sister and her foot was toooo?....baby girl says big.
And the prince tried it on the second stepsister and HER foot was too?....baby girl says big.
And he tried it on cinde.rella and it was juuuuust?.....baby girl says right!
So they got married and rode off into the sunset.
The end.
At least my son is still a ham and loving getting us to laugh. And pretty much running!
I'm still resisting bottles being taken away. I just want them to be my babies. I won't know how to function since I've had bottles in my life for 3 1/2 years!

No comments:
Post a Comment