About Me

I am 36 years old (37 now)(38 now)(49 now!), single, and want to become a mother. I had my ideal of marriage, house, baby, happiness. Well, life teaches you that nothing is certain and we all need to forge our own path. This is mine. UPDATE: and baby girl makes family :) And now baby boy makes bigger family!

Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Summer 2024!

Wow. It's been two months again and summer break has already started. I've come to realize that if I'm not feeling that great, I just can't muster it to put a post together. But, it bothers me and I think about it often, tell myself I'm glad that i've posted after I do....but alas. Here we are.

Kids got out of school last Thursday May 23 and it already feels like weeks....maybe it's just having them home 24/7, maybe it's the fact that we've been so busy....we went to a hotel as a staycation to kick off the summer from Sunday to Monday holiday. It really was nice with an indoor pool, kids behaved-not much bickering, and the nice cold air conditioning. Since the temps have already reached 'feels like' over 100 here in the south, it's miserable already. The humidity just...it's just so much. I'm finding the older I'm getting the less heat tolerant I am. When I go to the grocery store I come back drenched in sweat and literally feel like I worked out. It's not fun.

The end of 6th grade and 3rd grade wrapped up fast and furious. I was SO SO proud of both of them. My girl was invited to a special awards ceremony at school where several honors were given out. She was selected for the honors theater award. Her theater teacher really has taken to her and it's been great to watch her love of theater grow. We also had a theater banquet to honor those who were graduating 8th and new members of the thespian society. She wanted to dress up for both, so our friend Amy had given us the cutest denim dress that we thought if we put a belt with it, it would look great. However, it was still a bit boxy, so we decided to get it tailored into an A line. She had never been to a tailors before so the experience was super fun. Standing in the mirror, getting it pinned, trying on the final result a few days later, and watching her look in the mirror and seeing her whole body smile--she felt pretty. Those are the moments. My girl has this fabulous mane of long brown spiral-y curly hair. She's never worn it down to school for anything. Well, I talked her into doing it for the banquet AND the awards ceremony....and she looked stunning. Like a totally different kid--sandals, denim dress, gorgeous curls, and a little belt to boot.  When she went to school for both events her friends who had never seen her like that were just So surprised/screamed and told her how beautiful she was. Even her teachers did as well--her favorite Mrs. Jackson told her she wishes she had hair like that. (Me too, I always wanted a big beautiful head of hair, but mine is thin and doesn't grow out long very well).  What was the most touching was to see my child not just look beautiful but FEEL beautiful. She ended the last quarter with all A's (even in Math, her toughest subject). She's really blossomed over this year...her confidence, her personality is coming out more--she is very witty. She's a one liner kind of kid and a find myself cracking up, even though she doesn't know why I'm laughing--she's not trying to be funny, but just is. On a random note today we just went to get her eyebrows threaded...and it looks really good. If she doesn't groom them they are dark, the complete opposite of mine. Mine are white. Even though I have brown-ish hair which I highlight blonde, you still can't see my eyebrows! Although I haven't had my hair colored in about 6 months and I'm noticing how much more grey is growing in. Sigh.

My son also had several end of year events....he had a basketball team celebration, I'm not sure I mentioned but he played in Jan/Feb on this team and they started out really rough. Some kids not super focused, dancing on the court. BUT, after weeks of play they ended up winning the championship! The thrill of watching those last two games was so. Much. fun. I've got the end of the game on video--me screaming. The coach wasn't able to have the party right after the season, so we just had it recently. We also celebrated end of season of soccer--this one didn't go so well. A lot of the boys who have been on this team for a few years have peeled off and are starting to play club.  That's a whole other subject about youth sports here. It's NUTS. Like, kids start specializing in a sport in 3-4th grade and play all year long in clubs when not playing in school. And these clubs are like 2k+ a year. Our smaller league we've been so fortunate to play in for the last several years is like $130/season. We've been SO lucky to have coach Michael and coach Aaron (two dads of the kids on his team) they are the best--very positive, knowledgeable and have taught the boys a ton. Sadly, both of their boys are going to play club in the Fall so our team and coaches are now disbanded. I knew it would happen at some point, but I had hope coach Michael would do one more season as his son just isn't that great at soccer. I was surprised to see them move him to club, but hey, to each his own. Coach Michael really took a liking to my son and spent a lot of time working with him.  I ended up sending a text to the coaching letting them know how much I appreciated them over the years and that while my son doesn't have a Dad, they've been such good role models for him. Those guys really were great. 

My son also had an end of year party at school, a celebration of learning. I've learned that for some reason, my son doesn't like these parties and tends to be irritable and grumpy. I think he's got a bit of social anxiety and feels embarrassed a lot, etc.. Well, he was extra grumpy at this one and didn't even come over to talk to me--and yes, he did ask if I could come. My son has really struggled with his attitude/irritability lately and it seems to be getting worse.  He's gotten into arguments with Ata quite a bit and so much so that his mom texted me yesterday after they were playing saying my son wasn't being kind. And he wasn't. It's starting to affect his relationships. I'm not sure if he's going through a phase, or what, but it's noticeable. He verbally lashes out and is quick to anger.

As for me, I'm feeling a bit better. I changed medication and we increased dosage a few weeks ago. I do think it is helping. I was able to scramble and get camps set up mostly for the month of June and July perhaps trip to Amy's for the kids. It was competitive getting into one outdoor camp in that it filled up in minutes. So crazy. They are also going to do basketball camp, vacation bible school for my son, and my girl is going to do a stem camp. I think it will go well. I've picked back up on my house projects and am "this" close to ordering windows after over a year. I'm also pretty close to saying we are going to do the house remodel this summer. Seems I've gotten some energy back in order to keep things moving along. I'm still not sleeping that well, so I'd like for that to improve. I still need to buy a new bed. My tenants at the rental house are moving out after a year and a half so going to get that sorted this week to relist.

Well, we are off to the orthodontist for both kids. My girl in braces, my son his retainer. He's lost one of them so need a new one.

Here's to a great summer! Albeit hot and sweaty!

No comments:

Post a Comment