One thing I wanted to do was at least mention my son's birthday from back in October! He turned 4. We had a very small get together like usual and it really is just all we need. He's not really into big events and lots of presents, so I like that they are both happy to just be at home.
My son is such a sweet, sweet boy. He is a natural care-taker. He is always offering up his food, or treat, or toys to share. Just earlier this evening I sat down on the couch and he popped up off the floor and came and put a blanket on me. For a four year old it's amazing how much he thinks of others. It makes you want to scoop him up and squeeze him! Now, of course at 4 he's testing boundaries, etc..and doesn't always behave...but overall, he really is a loving kid. I still hear 'I love you' at least 5 times a day. Heart melt. He still runs to the door when I come home and flings himself into my legs. His giggle/laugh is infectious and so is his smile. Considering the fact that the kid hasn't slept well most of this year, he makes up for it in charm. We have finally gotten over the hump of the: to nap or not to nap....and he's finally made the transition to rest time, instead of nap. It was just causing him to stay up way too late and not sleep well. I also got him a toddler clock for christmas with colors, where it is blue during bed/sleep time and it turns yellow when he can get up. Can I just tell you he has stayed in his bed all night since December 26th and is SO excited to come out when it's yellow?! I started with 6:00am yellow because I wanted to be sure he woke up to see it, but my goal is to slowly move it to 6:30am. If he can stay in his bed all night and sleep until 6:30am.....I think we will all be better rested for it. So far so good and I really really hope he continues to love it.
| Awwwww, my sweet boy. |
| Such a big boy now ;) |
My girl......
I think by process of elimination we figured out that what was probably causing her persistent fatigue for many months into this year: growing!! When we had her in for her 6 year old physical the Dr. noted that she grew 3 inches in one year....she said that normally kids grow around 2, so that definitely could have been the underlying reason for how tired she was all the time. During the summer she did get better, but now she is back to being pretty tired....so I am hoping it is growing again, combined with all day school for first grade. That, and the fact that she and my son have been on/off sick w/ respiratory virus/colds/pink eye, etc.. since October.
As I've mentioned in earlier posts, it's been tough with her these past several months. I am feeling much like I did when she was three in that weekends are when she 'let's it out' and it can be exhausting. It really seems like every Saturday I can plan for a few meltdowns, arguments, she yells at her brother, resistance to most everything. I did look into parent therapy for me in figuring out how to best parent her when emotions run high and I think I'll try it.
She is definitely becoming more of a 'big kid' and less like a little girl. She is only 6 but I think that's what is so challenging, she is very intelligent, and thinks of herself not as a little kid.
She's lost two teeth on the bottom and another one is about ready to come out on the top. She really is growing taller....her legs have really stretched this year! She calls herself a nature girl and loves everything science and nature. I did submit the checklist of the talented and gifted program so we will see if she gets testing early next year. She learned just a few weeks ago how to ride her bike with NO training wheels.
During her parent teacher conference this first half of 1st grade, Mrs. Mcdonald said that she is a delight and such a joy to have in class....she is such a good student and very thoughtful to others. She also does really well in her schoolwork. She's such a rule follower at school and its funny, because of course not all kids are....she comes home and will tell me how Ashton doesn't do his work and can I believe that!! In her mind it's just crazy that someone wouldn't do it. I love that about her. Her fierce sense of right and wrong. Now her teacher....meh. Maybe my expectations are too high. I only asked a few questions about how they teach math these days because my girl likes to practice math at bedtime and the teacher discouraged that and said if kids want to learn more in math a tutor is a good way to go. Yeah....no.
One of my favorite parts of the day with her is after I put my son to bed I go in and it's her turn. I kneel next to her bed and we talk about whatever she wants to talk about, or she asks to play games (which is doing a color game, or even division, multiplication- she asks me to quiz her!) Then when it's time to settle in we hold hands....then I say it's time to give kiss hug. I kiss her on the forehead or cheek and lean in to hug her. And she whole heartedly hugs me back and says 'I love you mom'. I know she really means it.
One of her cool inventions: She named it: The CAT-ANATOR 5000
"Cunshrunshins" (instructions) for her science experiment where she needed "ingrediens", "cemacls", and "gere". I thought this was so awesome!!
Bunny habitat, complete with a sky, grass, and a piece of plastic lettuce.
SUMMARY OF 2018:
Yes, this year was a tough one. It really was. Looking back.....we had a lot of sickness with both kids, my son broke his leg, and no sleep for most of the year......work was tough, the construction house was tough. But, through all of those hard, tough days......we also had a lot of moments of cool family time and make-my-heart-melt times. I love my kids dearly and yes, parenting is hard. Dang hard at times.
JANUARY: First snow day in many years down south!
MARCH: We made this for the finish line of our dog obstacle course we made in the backyard. Of course we were the dogs and had races.
APRIL: Sidewalk paint turned into...well,you get the picture.....and looking out the window to see our family bikes lines up.
MAY: Kinder Graduation--throwing her hat up high!
JUNE: We celebrated Fathers' Day for our cat....he got two new 'children' and my girl wrote him a card: "Happy Foovrs Bay"!
AUGUST: First tooth lost and First day of school!
I am looking forward to 2019 and with it....some more sleep!!








No comments:
Post a Comment