I read an article recently that for some reason made me sit back and say AHA....I get what they mean a little more about enjoy them when they are young. This lady was talking about several ways parenting older kids is harder than younger ones--eventually they outsmart you, they are even more expensive...but the one that made me reflect was--They don't want to be with you. (Um, what do you mean they don't want to be w/ you? ) She said you are their center of universe for years and initially it's nice when they don't need you to carry them or lie next to them to fall asleep. Then you find yourself bribing them to spend time w/ you and eventually that won't work and they just want to be with their friends. She says where was this kid who wants nothing to do w/ her now when she was army-crawling out of his room and holding his hand through the crib until he fell back asleep?
Something just clicked.....not just because that's exactly what I have done during night times, but I AM the center of their universe right now. They WANT to be with me every second of the day (okay for the most part). For some reason when I thought of it in those terms, my girl's crying fits or sassiness, or sourness just didn't seem as frustrating. There will come a time (gasp) that she/they don't want to be around me....let's not go there any time soon.
So in celebration of the great things.....
Just tonight:
"Mommy, I love you. You are my best friend. Ever!" All while running over to me w/ her arms outstretched for a great big hug. I have no idea where she even heard of the term 'best friend'. But boy did it make me smile at the end of my long day today.
She is very creative in her get-ups. Bike helmet, sunglasses, and boots. What else could a girl need!
She is very attentive her brother. One of the first few times he was standing, picture was taken August 19th, she was helping and saying "Look at him, look at him!"
Can't get enough of these curls!!
She is very thoughtful. When she is getting something out of the fridge she always wants to bring you one too. She offers to share when she is eating....just tonight she wanted a cheese stick and as she's running to the fridge she says, "you want one too...I bring two!" When she's eating popcorn she'll randomly reach over and hand me a kernel. If I ever yell out if something hurt me she's always right there, "What happened, mommy?". When we would go to the apartment pool she would always want to pick flowers for whoever was back at the apartment and bring them in.
Just such a sweetness in there.
And my son....what can I say? He is just so dang happy (when he's not teething, of course). And still chubby, still wants to snuggle and be held a lot. And makes me smile.
And, he said ma-ma intentionally not too long ago!! I was putting him down to bed, he flipped himself right over and stood up in his crib...he was saying "maaaa....maaaaa....".as I was walking out. Awwww.
I just love them!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment